10-80-10 Principle Summary
The Key to implementing the 10-80-10 Principle is to A.C.T. It is through Awareness, Conscious Choice and Time that we are able to shift our behaviors that allow us to achieve our desired results.
Be aware of the following:
• What is the desired result?
• What behaviors would be considered Top 10 (pushing you toward your desired result)?
• What behaviors would be considered Bottom 10 (pulling you away from your desired result)?
Make a conscious choice to:
• Neutralize the bottom 10 – put the minimum amount of time, energy, attention and thought so that you no longer are concerned with that behaviour and it no longer pulls you from the desired result and draws resources
• Empower the Top 10 – grow the behaviour by spending more time, energy, attention thought and resources on it
You will notice a shift over time:
• As Top 10 behaviors are empowered, the majority 80 will follow the lead of the Top 10.
• Once you have 90% (Top 10 + Majority 80) on board that’s when the Bottom 10 are most likely to be influenced. They break apart, part of the group converts to the new behavior and the rest leave.
• What does success look like? How will you know when you achieve it? What is a reasonable time frame to reach it?